Basically a tax rebate is an overpayment of tax, which is then refunded to the taxpayer. It is completely legal and above board. Many people overpay tax (some estimates indicate that as many as 33% of the population overpay tax at some point).

Why do people overpay tax?

An overpayment of tax can easily occur when someone is put onto an emergency tax code, which is the code BR. Overpayments can also take place if you have worked for part of a year, or you actually earned less than the tax threshold, which is currently £6435 per annum.

Can I claim during the current tax year?

As a general rule, you can only make a claim for a tax rebate after the financial year has ended. So in 2009, you can make a claim for overpaid tax in the tax year 2007-2008.
But if you are going to be leaving the United Kingdom and will not be taking employment in the UK until after 5th April, then you can also make a claim.

How can I tell what I am owed?
It is really easy to learn if you are owed money and if so how much. All you have to do is to use our simple tax calculator and this will immediately tell you if you have paid too much tax.

Can I only claim for last financial year?

No, you have the right to claim a tax rebate for the last 6 financial tax years, if monies are owed to you. A tax year starts on the 6th April and runs through to 5th April the following year. So, for example, the 2008/09 tax year started on 6th April 2008 and it ended on 5th April 2009.

What information do I need to be able to make a claim?

You need to have an original copy of your P45 and P60 (if P60 is applicable).
Please note that a P45 is required for every employment that you during the tax year. So if you had three different jobs during the tax year, then you require 3 P45s. If you were employed at the end of the tax year (5th April) then you will need a P60 from that company.

If you were/are employed in the Construction Industry Scheme, then you will require every CIS payslip issued during the tax year. You should also send us a copy of the Self Assessment Tax Return that was sent to you by HMRC.

If you have lost your P45 or P60, then your employer should provide you with a Statement of Earnings. However, there is no lawful duty for your employer to provide you with this, so originals should be retained.
We can assist in trying to secure this from your employer, but a charge of £20 is applicable. This sum will be deducted from your refund.
If, however, you are claiming overpaid tax for this tax year, because you are leaving the UK, then you can do this without all of the necessary P60’s etc.

Do I need to make an appointment?

No, everything can be handled remotely. You simply use the tax rebate calculator below. If you are owed any tax back, then this will immediately show up and we will ask you to complete your details in our application pack. When you complete and submit this form then we will send you a welcome pack via email. Then all you have to do is fill out a short questionnaire, sing the forms that we send and send it back to us, at our freepost address.

Can I claim all of my tax rebate?

No. You can only claim for monies that you have overpaid. You can find out how much this may be by using our simple to use online tax rebate Calculator.

When will I receive any overpayment?

Generally the process is quite quick and all monies owed will be received by you within 2-4 weeks from when we receive your documents.
In some cases, where a person does not have a permanent National Insurance Number of any incorrect information is supplied, then there may be lengthy delays, but this is beyond our control.

How much will your service cost me?

Our fees are very cost effective for clients, since we only charge 14% of the total repayment due by HMRC. However, there is a minimum charge of £99. We deduct this fee from the payment that is made to you by HMRC so you do not have to pay money now. In addition, rest assured that we have a policy of No Refund No Fee, which means that if you don’t get your money back, then we will not charge you a penny!

Can you only pay money into a UK bank account?

No, we can easily pay money into a foreign bank, but in order to cover the cost of extra bank fees we charge an additional £45 for this service. Money can be paid into a UK bank account at no extra cost or we can arrange for you to collect the money in person, which will be subject to a 3% fee, to cover additional administration expenses.